Monday 6 February 2012

Role Play..(Language Function)

Morning!! Our class were required to do a role play using at least five language functions. Beremas, Edward, Priscilla and I decided to do a role play on hair loss issue. 
Our situation was two best friends, Nick and Pris, were going to Guardian, I played Nick's role, who wanted to buy a bottle of hair shampoo which was suitable for his hair. Meanwhile, Priscilla played Pris' s role who wanted to check for some facial product. At the guardian, two promoters, played by Edward and Beremas, approached them and start to promote and convince the best friends to buy their product. 
Below are our script for role -play:

Setting : Imperial Shopping Mall
Nickelson
: Hey, Priscilla. (to greet) Let us go to Guardian. (to suggest) I want to buy a bottle of hair shampoo there. (to explain)
Priscilla
: Sure I will go with you. (to agree) I would like to have a look at some facial products.
Priscilla & Nickelson are walking around Guardian.
Priscilla
: What type of hair shampoo do you want to buy? (to ask)
Nickelson
: I used PANTEEN before. But, I still have hair fall problems. My hair becomes thinner from day to day. (to complain)
Priscilla
: I suggest that you use another type of shampoo which is more suitable for your hair. (to suggest)
A few moments later, two promoters are approaching them.
Edward
: Welcome to Guardian. (to greet) May I help you, Sir? (to ask)
Nickelson
: I want to buy a bottle of shampoo which can help me to control my hair loss. I used PANTEEN hair fall control before, but I feel it is not effective. (to complain)
Edward
: I think that you should try CLEAR hair shampoo to strengthen the roots of your hair. A lot of customers prefer this product, Sir. (to recommend)
Beremas
: Excuse me. (to interrupt) I would like to introduce to you a new product from LOREAL brand. I’m sure that this hair shampoo will help you to restore your hair condition. It will make your hair look smooth and silky. (to explain)
Priscilla
: Can both of you let him think and choose by himself? Which one do you prefer, Nick? (to ask)
Nickelson
: Hmm… (Thinking) Do you have other types of hair shampoo which are more affordable since the product that you introduced to me just now is quite expensive? (to ask)
Edward
: You can use SUNSILK Hair Fall Control. If you buy this hair shampoo, you will get a free hair conditioner. The price is only RM 6.60. I am using this product too. Look at my hair. It looks spiky and easy to manage. (to support) What do you think, Berry? (to ask opinion)
Beremas
: I agree with you, Eduardo. (to agree) Anyway, why don”t you have a try ? (to recommend)
Nickelson
: Okay then. Thanks for your help. (to thank) Let us go, Pris. (to invite)
Edward & Beremas
: You’re welcome. Please come again. (to show pleasure)
Nickelson & Priscilla
: Okay, bye.
From the role play, I learned a lot about the function of language. Some of language function that we used during the role play were:
  1.  Beremas : I agree with you, Eduardo ( to agree)
  2. Eduardo : Welcome to Guardian ( to greet)
  3. Nickelson : I used Pantene hair fall control before, but I fell it is not effective ( to complain) 
  4. Priscilla : I suggest that you use another type of shampoo which is more suitable for your hair ( to suggest)
I was good in acting. So, it was not a very big problem for me to act. I enjoyed my acting and most of dialogues that came from my mouth were spontaneous. I did not follow the actual script that we had wrote before. Luckily, all of us managed to cover it up. Our acting became more natural and more alive. I was very happy and very surprised when our group was announced as the best group for role play. Our group received an appreciation from Madam Ira. And, we promised to better ourselves for the next presentations.

No comments:

Post a Comment